Homeless and Unaccompanied Youth
The Pennsylvania Homeless Children’s Initiative is the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s response to The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001 (Sections 721-726 – P.L. 107 -110 NCLB.) The key mandate of the law is to ensure that homeless children and youth have access to free, appropriate education on an equal basis with other children.
By definition of this act, homeless or unaccompanied children are found in the following places or situations:
- Public or private shelters.
- Public or private places not designated for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings—vehicles, parks, motels, campgrounds, etc.
- Living with a family member or friends in a domestic shelter or private home due to the lack of housing.
- Runaway children (under 18 years of age) and children and youth who have been abandoned or forced out of their home by parents or other caretakers (including such youth from 18 through 21 years of age who may still be eligible for educational services in regular or special education.).
- Children of migrant families who lack adequate housing.
- School-age, unwed mothers or expectant mothers living in houses for unwed mothers when they have no other available living accommodations.
- Other circumstances that cause the student not to have a permanent residence.
If you are aware of any children in the district who may possibly fit the criteria above, please contact the Kane Area School District’s homeless liaison, Linda Lorenzo. Services and supports are available for these students. More information on Pennsylvania’s Homeless Initiative and available services can be obtained by contacting Linda Lorenzo, Kane Area School District’s Homeless Liaison, at 814-837-9570 x 1217 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Linda Lorenzo
Homeless Liaison for the Kane ASD
400 West Hemlock Avenue
Kane, PA 16735
814-837-9570 extension 1217
OR - Please contact Kane's Regional and Site Homeless Coordinator:
Wendy Kinnear, Midwestern IU
(724) 458-6700 x1289 - office
9724)730-4859 - Cell
Yvonne Teed, Northwest Tri-County IU5